Dafanews Kenya

Dafanews Kenya

Paralympics: Kenya come out empty-handed in 5,000m T11

Athletics   |   August 28, 2021

JOIN NOW!
VIEW MARKET

Brazil’s Yeltsin Jacques was too good for homeboy Kenya Karasawa and neither could the Kenyan duo of Rodgers Kiprop and Wilson Bii stand on his way as he powered to gold in the 5000m T11 at the ongoing 2020 Tokyo Paralympics Games.

Japanese Karasawa was the pre-race favourite ahead of the Kenyans but he faded and was unable to contain the onslaught by Jacques, who was impressive despite the sweltering Tokyo heat, on his way to bagging gold. Karasawa settled for silver ahead of his compatriot Shinya Wada, who took bronze.

Kiprop had been on course to defend Kenya’s title won by Samwel Muchai in 2016 but he was unable to sustain his charge in the final three laps of the race. He would later claim the heat messed up their tactics as Bii finished last in the race.

“I take home a lot of lessons from Tokyo being that it was my first time to represent Kenya at this level,” Kiprop said after the race.

“This is a message also to my fellow Kenyans with whatever disability that the Paralympics is the ultimate stage. They can make it like I have come here.

“The Paralympics offers great opportunities and so as a country let us bring forward those athletes with different impairments to try take a sport they would like to participate in.”

On his part, Bii said: “I trained really well at high altitude, but I was not prepared for this kind of heat.”

PHOTO/COURTESY